Applications are invited for the Ghent University Doctoral Scholarships 2024. The Last Date is February 20, 2024. Doctoral individuals can apply to the Ghent University Doctoral Scholarship program if they wish to complete their studies in Belgium. King William of the Netherlands founded Ghent University, one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Belgium. This is the finest chance for students to pursue their studies in Europe.
With this scholarship, students can travel to Belgium and experience an international setting. Students have access to the greatest mentors and research skills in a professional setting. At the University of Ghent, students will learn about their two years of study in North Belgium, which will be funded by a scholarship program. The final two years of study will be spent conducting research in South African developing nations, with funds covering the costs of the research themselves. Your doctoral program will be fully funded for the first 24 months, thanks to this scholarship. Students who receive this international scholarship will not only become more aspirational but also professionals in their fields, enabling them to better serve society.
Table of contents
The University of Ghent offers fully funded scholarship opportunities for students. Since the university is one of the best in both Belgium and Europe, students do not need to worry about the cost of living there because the scholarship program pays for all of their living expenses, including tuition. There are more than 200 academic subject areas offered.
Ghent University Doctoral Scholarships Details
- Host Country: Belgium
- Host University: Ghent University
- Financial Assistance: Fully Funded
- Degree Program: Doctoral
Terms and Conditions
- Check out the rental fee for the correct academic year
- The rent is due at the start of the reserved period. The tenant is obliged to keep the living unit that was allocated for the duration of the tenancy agreement.
- The costs for the consumption of water, electricity, and heating, provision of bed linen, cleaning of the common areas, repair services, and use of the internet are included in the monthly rent. The use of cookware such as pots and pans and cutlery/crockery (only available in studios) is also included.
- A monthly invoice will be sent to you by email, and the deposit (if applicable) will be charged on your first invoice.
Please note that there is no need to pay anything pre-arrival or upon your arrival.
- Only students with a letter of invitation for one semester or a period of less than four months can apply for accommodation in Ghent.
- Check-in is not possible on weekends, except for weekends in February and September.
Modifications and Cancellations
- In case you made a mistake or would like to change your application, please reply as soon as possible to the application letter you received.
If no living unit was assigned to your application, you can still cancel or change it without incurring any costs.
- If you cancel your application after a living unit has been assigned to you by the Housing Office (upon which you receive a confirmation email), an administrative fee of €75.00 will be charged.
An exemption is granted to applicants who do not meet the eligibility requirements to be able to rent a living unit in the academic year for which they have submitted an application and informed the Housing Office of this situation in due time.
- A ‘no-show’ within 7 days after the start of the agreement equals a cancellation unless the tenant notified the Housing Office of the late check-in. An administrative fee of €75.00 will be charged, and in this case, no exemptions are possible.
- From the start date of the tenancy agreement, the tenant may terminate the lease only if you terminate your studies or registration at Ghent University.
The notice period consists of one month. The notice period of 1 month starts on the first day of the month following receipt of the email or letter.
- All modifications and cancellations must be done in writing, stating the reason and including the necessary supporting documents.
The Housing Office will be able to process your housing application once you have been accepted as an exchange student at Ghent University. If you apply for a housing option that is not available to you, your housing application will be canceled, after which you can apply again for the correct accommodation.
Ghent University has a wide range of student restaurants. Staff are also welcome. They are all situated in the vicinity of the faculties. The service and food are of high quality, and the prices are the lowest in town.
In our cafeterias, you can order breakfast pastries, sandwiches, salad bowls, and cold dishes (to heat up). In our restaurants, you will find the same offer plus warm dishes. A nice variety of pork, poultry, fish, veggie, and vegan dishes are served every day. All restaurants and cafeterias have a dining area. In the dining area, there is a microwave at your disposal. You can use it to heat up our cold dishes (also halal) or to heat up your own dishes.
Do not forget to bring your student or personnel card with you; otherwise, you must pay a higher price for your food. Ghent University students and personnel pay the price that is mentioned on the TV screens; this is the subsidized price. The restaurants are open to everyone; however, depending on which group you belong to, you pay a different price.
- Reservations are not needed to go to the swimming pool.
- Externals are allowed to purchase a multi-use ticket.
- The sports halls are open for single reservations
Ghent University boasts a fully-equipped sports center (“GUSB”), with three large and two small halls for indoor activities. There is a 25-meter swimming pool and an instruction pool! Special attention is devoted to sports for disabled students. The university also offers individual support services and counseling for students who are actively involved in top-class sports.
Some of the sports that can be pursued are aerobics, aikido, basketball, bujinkan bujutsu, cross fit, condition gym, badminton, running, diving, BBB, handball, hockey, jogging in groups, judo, karate, kayaking, korfball, krav maga, mini-football and five-a-side football, rugby, swimming, table tennis, tennis, volleyball, water polo, yoga, etc.
Ghent University is an open, pluralistic, and socially engaged university. It is more than 200 years old, offers more than 200 programs (including 64 English-taught master’s programs), and conducts in-depth research within a wide range of scientific domains. Our credo is Dare to Think: we are a haven for courageous thinkers.
The following are the scholarship benefits covered:
- The scholarship covers a tuition fee of €310 monthly
- Students are provided with a stipend of Euro 8000 to cover all the expenses of student stay in Belgium.
- Cabo Verde
- South Africa
- People’s Republic of Korea
- Cuba, Myanmar
- Sri Lanka
- Arab, Republic
- Sao Tome, and Burkina
- Faso Congo, Burundi
- Cote d’Ivoire
- Central African
- Republic Eswatini
- Chad El Salvador
- Georgia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- Lesotho Moldova
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- South Sudan
- West Bank and Gaza Strip
The following eligibility criteria should be met:
- The applicant must be from one of the above-mentioned countries.
- The applicant must submit a proposal to Ghent University.
- Development-related research topics are encouraged.
- Applicants can apply for joint Ph.D. Degree Programs.
- For the Ghent University Doctoral Scholarship Program, female students should apply because preference will be given to female applicants.
February 20, 2024.
How To Apply?
The greatest place to start if you want more information about Concordia University Scholarships is the official website. There, you may find in-depth information about the programs and courses that are offered, the requirements for admission, the campus, student life, and much more. Additionally, you can learn more about the university’s research, staff, faculty, and community involvement initiatives. Academic calendars, student handbooks, and course catalogs might also be accessible to users via the website. Click this to view the webpage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ghent University Doctoral Scholarships are fully funded scholarships for international students who wish to pursue a doctoral degree at Ghent University in Belgium. The scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and research potential.
Be a national of a developing country
Have a master’s degree with excellent grades
Have a strong research proposal
Be fluent in English
A tuition fee waiver for 24 months
A monthly stipend of €2,470
A bench fee of €310 per month for the supervisor
A travel budget of €8,000
February 20, 2024.
The application process for Ghent University Doctoral Scholarships varies depending on the scholarship program. Please check the website of the relevant scholarship program for application instructions.