The Wellcome Trust’s £25.9 billion investment portfolio directly funds thousands of scientists and researchers around the world at every step from discovery to impact. The Trust’s funding schemes offer grants across biomedical science, population health, medical innovation, humanities and social science, and public engagement.
Principal Research Fellowships are the most prestigious of the Trust’s awards and provide long-term funding for researchers of international standing.
A salary in the range of £75,000 to £100,000 per annum, a Distinction Award of up to £50,000, resarch expenses, research funding, plus allowances.
Other benefits include funding for Research Enrichment, available to increase the impact of your work through activities in public engagement, open research, and diversity and inclusion.
To be eligible for Principal Research Fellowships, applicant must:
- Have an established track record in research at the highest level.
- Have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
- Have a research project that is within the Trust’s scientific remit.
This award is particularly suitable for senior research scientists who:
- want to work in the UK or Republic of Ireland but are currently based in a different country, or
- currently hold Senior Research Fellowships in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
The Wellcome Trust will assess:
- track record and standing in the field
- quality and importance of your research question(s)
- approach to solving these problems
- the suitability of research environment
Applications for Principal Research Fellowships are online and applicants can express an interest at any time.
You will need to send a full CV and a brief outline of your plans to a head of department in one of the Wellcome Trust’s Science teams, preferably 12 months before the date you want the award to start. The Wellcome Trust will then assess your eligibility and give advice about your competitiveness and the resources you’ve requested. If suitable, you will be invited to submit a full application.