Applications are invited for Fully Funded President’s Doctoral Scholar Award at the University of Manchester, United Kingdom.
This flagship funding scheme, which is strongly supported by the University’s President and Vice Chancellor Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, will offer over 100 elite studentships each year and be underpinned by a core investment of £2.5m over four years.
The PDS Award will give the most outstanding students from across the UK and from around the world a foundation to support research training with prominent academics across a full range of subjects.
The 3.5 year, fully-funded award includes:
- Tuition fees at the international rate.
- Annual maintenance stipend equivalent to UKRI minimum stipend rate.
PDS Award holders will also:
- be invited to attend a series of exclusive events where they will have the opportunity to meet the University’s President and Vice Chancellor, interact closely with our academic community and network with other PDS Award students
- benefit from international research leadership under distinguished scholars
- become a PDS ambassador for the University
- benefit from our extensive transferable skills training programmes for research students
- receive a President’s Doctoral Scholar medal
To be eligible for President’s Doctoral Scholar Award, applicants must:
- Hold a valid academic offer to start a PhD programme in September 2021.
- Hold (or be about to obtain) a first class honours undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Ideally hold a master’s-level qualification at merit or distinction (or international equivalent).
- Have some research related experience. This may include undergraduate projects, placements, internships, contributions to publications/articles, promoting research to a wider audience, prizes for previous work or setting up collaborations with other groups.
- Be able to demonstrate involvement in broader activities e.g. outreach, volunteering, community engagement, engagement in EDIA and other extra-curricular activities.
President’s Doctoral Scholar Award (PDS) Awards work on a nomination basis. The lead supervisor will consider you for nomination and will support you through the process.
In order to be considered, applicants must hold an academic offer for a place on one of our PhD programmes. It is therefore essential that you apply for a place on the PhD programme of your choice as early as possible and that you specify in the funding section that you wish to be considered for PDS. Full details of our research projects can be found on the relevant Department webpages as well as information on how to apply for our PhD programmes.
In order to consider your nomination, your proposed supervisor must have received the following documents well in advance of the nomination deadline:
- Undergraduate degree transcript
- Masters’ degree transcript (if applicable)
- 2 academic references
- Evidence of English language proficiency