Applications are invited for Funded OTS/VUFP South Africa Scholarships at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is collaborating with OTS to attract South African students to VU. The VU Fellowship Programme (VUFP) sponsors the OTS scholarship programme. We encourage South African students to apply for the combined OTS/VUFP South Africa scholarships programme.
Aim of the programme:
The VUFP/OTS South Africa scholarships is for talented, motivated South African students who need financial support to study at VU Adam.
The VUFP/OTS South Africa scholarship covers the tuition fees. It does not provide any additional allowance towards study or living costs. As the grant is not a full scholarship, it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance your studies and stay completely. Students requiring a residence permit in the Netherlands must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) that they have sufficient financial means.
The applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for VUFP/OTS South Africa scholarships. Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Eligible candidates should:
- apply for the first year of a full-time English-taught Master’s programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam starting per September 2021.
- have the South African nationality and are not eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans.
- should not have a degree from an education institution in the Netherlands.
- be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa/residence permit.
Duration of the scholarship
- For 1-year Master’s programmes: max 1 year.
- For 2-year Master’s programmes: The VUFP/OTS South Africa scholarship can be granted for a one or two-year Master’s programme. The scholarship will only be extended for the second year of the two-year Master’s programme if 100% of the credits of the first year have been achieved.
Students already enrolled in a two-year Master’s programme who have not been awarded the VUFP scholarship in 2020/2021 are not eligible to apply for the VUFP/OTS South Africa scholarship 2021/2022.
- The scholarship will only be granted to a student once and is explicitly intended for the Master’s programme for which it has been awarded.
- Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the OTS/VUFP Scholarships.
Combination VUFP/OTS South Africa with Holland Scholarship Programme
VUFP/OTS South Africa scholarships can be combined with Holland Scholarship Programme (HSP). With the application for VUFP/OTS South Africa, students automatically apply for the HSP scholarship.
- The HSP scholarship can be awarded as € 5,000 or € 10,000.
- VU has only a limited number of HSP scholarships. Not every student who is awarded a VUFP/OTS scholarship will be offered an HSP scholarship.
- The HSP scholarship can only be awarded for one year, even if the master’s programme is 2 years. This means that you need extra financial means yourself for the 2nd year.
1. Register for an English-taught Master’s programme (from 1 October 2020) at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
Students register for a Master’s programme in Studielink and after that in the VUnet portal. Here you can find more information on how to apply for one of our English-taught Master’s programmes.
2. Submit VUFP/OTS South Africa application via Neso South Africa (starting from 1 November 2020)
Website Neso South Africa: www.nesosouthafrica.org
For the VUFP/OTS South Africa programme, 5 documents in PDF format are required:
- OTS application form
- Proof that the admission process with Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam has started
- Transcript, GPA and grading scale
- Motivation form (use format)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)