The Sir Douglas Myers Scholarship is for undergraduate study at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University, and is made available through the generosity of the late Sir Douglas Myers.
The Scholarship provides an opportunity for students who have already distinguished themselves academically to attend one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Sir Douglas expressed the hope that graduates will return to New Zealand to become leaders in their chosen fields, to the direct benefit of New Zealand and its people.
The Scholarship enables the successful candidate to attend Gonville and Caius College at Cambridge University, and provides the tuition fees and a living allowance.
The Scholarship will normally be held for three years, provided that the scholar continues to make satisfactory progress with his or her studies. (Extensions of the award may be made if there is reasonable justification.)
The Scholarship is available for students of all courses of study excepting medicine and law.
The Scholarship may be held concurrently with any other bursary or scholarship, provided that the rules of the other award allow this.
The Scholarship must be taken up in the year in which it is awarded.
To apply for Fully Funded Sir Douglas Myers Scholarship, applicants must:
- be entered for the Year 13 senior school examination (for example, NCEA Level 3, Cambridge exams, etc) or equivalent senior school exam in the year of application
- be New Zealand citizens or have New Zealand permanent resident status
- normally have completed their five years of secondary schooling in New Zealand
In making the award, the Selection Committee shall have regard not only to the academic ability of the candidates as evidenced by their performance in the Year 13 senior school examination (NCEA Level 3 or equivalent) but also to other factors such as character, qualities of leadership, contribution to cultural and/or sporting activities and intention to bring back benefits from the scholarship to New Zealand.
The Scholarship shall be awarded without restriction of gender, ethnic background or creed.
If you have questions about your eligibility you should contact the Scholarships Advisor at Universities New Zealand.
Applications, on the application forms provided by Universities New Zealand – Te Pōkai Tara, must reach Universities New Zealand by 1 December for Fully Funded Sir Douglas Myers Scholarship in the year prior to that in which the award is to be taken up.
Every application shall be accompanied by:
- A one-page statement listing the applicant’s achievements and activities, under the following headings; Academic, Positions of Responsibility, Sporting, Cultural, Community.
- A statement limited to 300 words outlining reasons for wishing to study at Cambridge, and the proposed course of study. It is expected that applicants will have researched their chosen course of study and will have a firm idea of their degree programme.
- A statement limited to 500 words outlining where the applicant sees themselves in 10 years’ time.
- The names of two persons from whom references have been requested. One reference should describe academic achievements, interests and abilities. The other reference should be from a person who can comment on the applicant’s participation and achievements in extra-curricular activities.
- A certified copy of birth certificate and proof of New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency.
- Signed Universities New Zealand Privacy Declaration.
- Certified copies of academic records to date.