This scholarship is named after former Chancellor Ms Fay Marles in recognition of her strong commitment to social justice and human rights, and offered to research students from Australian Indigenous descent or students who are experiencing compassionate or compelling circumstances.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- Living allowance of $31,200 per year pro rata (2020 full-time study rate) for up to 2 years for students undertaking a Master by research degree or up to 3.5 years for students undertaking a Doctoral degree. The living allowance may be indexed annually and includes limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave.
- Relocation grant of $2,000 for students moving from States or Territories other than Victoria or $3,000 for students moving from outside Australia.
To be eligible for Fay Marles Scholarship, applicant must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen
- be of Indigenous Australia descent and/or be experiencing compassionate or compelling circumstances (e.g. illness, a disability, carers responsibilities or personal hardship)
- have applied for and meet the entry requirements for a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne, or
- be currently enrolled in a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne
- not have already completed a research qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought
- not have previously received a graduate research scholarship with equivalent benefits
Eligible candidates are selected for Fay Marles Scholarship based on the level of disadvantage experienced by the applicant, academic merit, the strength of the supporting documentation, and their research potential in their field of study. Preference is given to new students and current students who have at least 12 months (full-time equivalent) of candidature remaining.
This scholarship is subject to the Graduate Research Terms & Conditions (as amended).
Applicants must submit an online Fay Marles Scholarship application.