Continue your education in the Netherlands. Excellent news! The Excellence Scholarship at Leiden University is now available. This article will go through the scholarship program, its perks, and the application procedure in depth.
The Leiden University Excellence Award 2023-2024 is a tuition-free master’s degree scholarship available to overseas students. This scholarship awards an average of € 15,000 each year. The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship is open to overseas students interested in pursuing a master’s degree at Leiden University in the Netherlands. These scholarships are fully sponsored and given to deserving candidates. The quantity and type of scholarships awarded are determined by the funds allocated to each Faculty department.
Scholarships for master’s studies are available.
The following subject is available to study under this scholarship program.
- Humanities, Archaeology, Medicine/LUMC, Law, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Governance and Global Affairs, Science, Interfacultair Centrum Voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies.
- Study in the Netherlands.
- Leiden University.
- The last date to apply is 1 February for programs beginning 1 September & 1 October for programs beginning 1 February
- A one-year curriculum has a maximum study length of 12 months. A 2-year curriculum has a maximum study length of 24 months.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship grants the following incentives to the recipient:
- The tuition price is € 15,000.
- The tuition price is €10,000.
- Total tuition charge less mandatory tuition fee.
Candidates must meet all of the following conditions to be eligible for a Leiden University Excellence Scholarship:
- English is the required language.
Eligible International students from non-EU/EEA countries
- Prior academic education must have resulted in exceptional study outcomes that are relevant to the program in which the student seeks to enroll. As a rough estimate, the student will be in the top 10% for the relevant program pursued overseas.
- Students must have had exceptional academic achievements in their prior schooling, which must be related to the Master’s degree for which they are applying. As an example, the student is in the top 10% of graduates from his or her prior study program. It should be noted that verification of ranking is not necessary; this information is provided just to illustrate the level of competitiveness.
- The student will have a non-EU/EEA passport and will be ineligible for study grants and loans under the Dutch “Studiefinanciering” system. Please visit www.duo.nl for additional details. This does not apply to the Advanced Masters program; the application is accessible to all nationalities.
- When a student changes his or her degree program during the study program, continuation of the LExS is not assured. Requests will be examined on a case-by-case basis, with the Faculty Selection Committee making the final decision (s). If the change occurs before the student has registered for the study program, the scholarship will be canceled and the student must reapply.
- The student must adhere to Dutch visa requirements.
- Those admitted to a second Master’s program at Leiden University will not be eligible for the LExS, with the exception of students enrolling for a Master’s program that requires a specific previous Master’s program or work experience.
- Throughout the academic year, Leiden University should be notified as soon as feasible of any change in nationality, kind of residence permit, and/or potential “Studiefinanciering” funding.
- If the student withdraws from the program early, all demands for tuition price reimbursement will be made to Leiden University and according to the “Regeling inschrijving, college- en examengeld” for the appropriate academic year. The student must complete and return the registration form to Leiden University. If appropriate, the student will be reimbursed for the tuition amount minus the scholarship on a pro-rata basis.
- During his or her studies at Leiden University, the student will participate actively in efforts to promote the LExS.
Please follow the below instructions to avail this Leiden University Excellence Scholarship:
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s program at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a Word doc of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study program and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.