Applications are invited for Fully Funded Croucher Scholarships for Doctoral Study 2021.
The Croucher Foundation is a private endowment set up in 1979 and permanently domiciled in Hong Kong, with the objective of promoting excellence in the natural sciences, technology and medicine in Hong Kong. One of the Foundation’s regular funding initiatives is to provide financial support (Croucher Scholarships for Doctoral Study) for promising young people in Hong Kong to pursue scientific research at postdoctoral and doctoral levels.
The awards offered by the Croucher Foundation Limited (“the Foundation”) are intended to enable applicants who are permanent residents of Hong Kong to devote themselves to a period of full-time study or research in natural sciences, medicine or technology in approved academic institutions outside Hong Kong.
These awards are intended for those engaged in full-time study leading to a PhD degree.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- an annual maintenance allowance which is set at USD30,300 per annum
- a one-way economy class air fare at both the beginning and end of tenure
- tuition fees and college fees (where applicable)
- a one-off arrival allowance of USD1,000 to cover the costs of arriving in a new country during the first year of tenure
- an academic development allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to allow Croucher Scholarship recipients to attend conferences, workshops or courses during the tenure of their awards
- a medical insurance allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to cover medical insurance costs
- a family allowance of up to USD16,000 per annum for the first child and up to USD6,800 per annum for every additional child who resides with the scholar during the entire duration of the award
- a commencement award of USD7,575 to be offered towards the end of doctoral studies to cover the cost of thesis preparation and travel expenses for scholars and their family members for attending their graduation ceremonies
- a science education allowance to offer support to those Croucher award recipients particularly interested in science education through well-designed activities and projects in schools and in the wider community
To be eligible for Croucher Scholarships for Doctoral Study, applicants must:
- permanent residents of Hong Kong
- have obtained First Class Honours in their first degree
- be expected to be able to receive substantively an MPhil degree by September 2021 to become eligible
- Students in their final year of first degree studies may also apply, but any offer of award will be conditional on their obtaining First Class Honours upon their graduation by July 2021
For Croucher Scholarships for Doctoral Study, applicants are required make sure the following documents in PDF format (each not exceeding 8MB) have been uploaded to your application:
- a document, up to 6 pages in length, including:
- a proposal describing the research to be undertaken which should include the names of potential supervisors and their research groups. To ensure fairness in competition to all applicants, a proposal once submitted cannot be amended
- a description of the candidate’s research experience, and a list of publications
- copies of the applicant’s HKCEE and HKALE or HKDSE certificates (or equivalent qualifications) and copies of official transcripts of his/her university records
- copies of reprints of the applicant’s three most significant publications (if applicable)
- one set of relevant documentation to provide proof of identity in respect of the applicant’s status as a permanent resident of Hong Kong which is pre-requisite to the award