Applications are invited for Fully Funded Croucher Fellowships for Postdoctoral Research 2021.
The Croucher Foundation is a private endowment set up in 1979 and permanently domiciled in Hong Kong, with the objective of promoting excellence in the natural sciences, technology and medicine in Hong Kong. One of the Foundation’s regular funding initiatives (Croucher Fellowships for Postdoctoral Research) is to provide financial support for promising young people in Hong Kong to pursue scientific research at postdoctoral and doctoral levels.
The awards offered by the Croucher Foundation Limited (“the Foundation”) are intended to enable applicants who are permanent residents of Hong Kong to devote themselves to a period of full-time research in natural sciences, medicine or technology in approved academic institutions outside Hong Kong.
These are educational awards for graduates who obtained their doctoral degrees after September 2019, and not primarily meant as grants for enabling a university or institution to employ research personnel for research projects. Some Fellowships are also available for fully qualified medical doctors who wish to pursue research under a speciality.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- an annual maintenance allowance which is set at USD 48,240 per annum
- a one-way economy class air fare at both the beginning and end of tenure
- a one-off arrival allowance of USD 1,000 to cover the costs of arriving in a new country during the first year of tenure
- a research allowance of up to USD 15,000 per annum to be used at the discretion of the award recipient for research expenses
- an academic development allowance of up to USD 2,000 per annum to allow Croucher Fellowship recipients to attend conferences, workshops or courses during the tenure of their awards
- a medical insurance allowance of up to USD 2,000 per annum to cover medical insurance costs
- a family allowance of up to USD 16,000 per annum for the first child and up to USD 6,800 per annum for every additional child who resides with the fellow during the entire duration of the award
- a science education allowance to offer support to those Croucher award recipients particularly interested in science education through well-designed activities and projects in schools and in the wider community
Duration of Fellowships
The length of the Croucher Fellowships for Postdoctoral Research award will be explicitly stated in the grant letter when the offer is made. If the award is for more than one year, the applicant will in the first instance be “on probation” for one year, and the award for the remaining period is entirely at the Foundation’s discretion subject to confirmation upon evidence of satisfactory progress in the first year. The maximum period for a Fellowship is two years.
For Croucher Fellowships for Postdoctoral Research, applicants are required to submit the following documents in PDF format (each not exceeding 8MB) have been uploaded to your application:
- a document, up to 6 pages in length, including:
- a proposal describing the research to be undertaken which should include the names of potential supervisors and their research groups. To ensure fairness in competition to all applicants, a proposal once submitted cannot be amended
- a description of the candidate’s research experience, and a list of publications
- copies of the applicant’s HKCEE and HKALE or HKDSE certificates (or equivalent qualifications) and copies of official transcripts of his/her university records
- copies of reprints of the applicant’s three most significant publications (if applicable)
- one set of relevant documentation to provide proof of identity in respect of the applicant’s status as a permanent resident of Hong Kong which is pre-requisite to the award