Applications are invited for Fully Funded Australian Sugar Industry Scholarship at an Australian university or tertiary institution.
The Australian Sugar Industry Scholarship is awarded to undergraduates (in their penultimate year of study) studying engineering (chemical, mechanical, process or electrical), science or technical disciplines at an Australian university or tertiary institution. The Australian Sugar Industry Scholarship aims to encourage the participation of high calibre students in the Australian sugar processing industry.
The Australian sugar industry will fund scholarship recipients each year to be hosted by Australian sugar mills and refineries for up to three work placements of four weeks duration each over one and half calendar years (two placements during the crushing season and one placement during the maintenance season).
The scholarship is jointly funded by Australia’s sugar mills, through Sugar Research Institute (SRI) and Sugar Research Australia (SRA).
In addition to financial and work placement support, the Australian Sugar Industry Scholarship program helps recipients to make the most of their university experience through extra development opportunities by building their leadership skills and professional networks.
- Paid work placement at industry rates (40hrs/week x 4 weeks per placement x $ (mill company rate))
- Living away allowance of $250 per week.
- A payment of $2,500 for satisfactory work placement and satisfactory approval of a completed engineering project report.
To apply for Australian Sugar Industry Scholarship, applicant must be:
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident of Australia
- A penultimate year student currently undertaking an engineering, science or technical degree at an Australian university or tertiary institution
- Able to undertake three periods of work placement over an 18 month period (12 weeks in total) during semester breaks at an Australian sugar mill location selected by SRI. (Placements are: penultimate year; June/July and Nov/Dec; final year June/July ) and
- Prior to the commencement of each work placement, the scholarship recipient must successfully complete all medical tests (including alcohol and drug testing) and security checks required by a sugar industry company
For Australian Sugar Industry Scholarship, applicants are required to submit:
- A cover letter and curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of your academic record and academic transcript
- Certified copies of proof of nationality or permanent residence visa
- Letter of reference from at least one referee (must be recent work experience reference)
Send the completed form and attachments as instructed by the closing date.
Only students who are successful in being offered a scholarship interview are notified within 2 weeks of the application closing date. There will be no appeals process for unsuccessful applicants.
Scholarship recipients must:
- Continue to be enrolled as a full-time student;
- Successfully complete all work placement requirements and submit satisfactory work placement reports within 2 weeks of completion of placement;
- Successfully complete medical/drug and alcohol testing and security checks prior to placement;
- Organise and pay for their own travel and accommodation expenses to each placement